Here’s our shortlist of the excitement that awaits onsite and nearby Likely Place Golf & RV Resort. Come, play, explore, and come back for more!
1. PLAY GOLF!! It's not called a "Golf & RV Resort" for nothing! Likely Place has one of just three 18-hole courses at any California RV park and it's a good one — 7,000 yards, par 72, wide fairways, beautifully kept greens, some really long holes, stunning views, ponds, wildlife — everything a golfer wants, all at an affordable price. Add a clubhouse serving delicious breakfasts and lunches and you have the #1 best thing to do at Likely Place.
2. GO FISHING!! We have excellent fishing whether you're a fly fisherman, a spin fisherman or a bait-soaker. Modoc County is justly famous for its beautiful streams, lakes and reservoirs filled with trout. Likely Place is smack in the middle of some of the best fishing around, suitable for the most dedicated fisherman or just grandma, grandpa and the grandkids. Ask the Front Desk for suggestions about where to go or check likelyplace.com. Got a boat, kayak or canoe? Be sure to bring it along!
3. HIKE OUR NATURE TRAIL! A 1.4-mile nature trail and 3.5-mile walking/biking trail wind through the 520-acre park. Surrounded by real ranches with real cows and real cowboys, stunning views of the Warner Mountains and the Pit River Valley, plus five lovely ponds filled with nesting waterfowl and lots of other wildlife. Got a dog? Bring Fido along, we're pet friendly and your well-behaved pet is every bit as welcome as you are. And, just down the road are seemingly endless miles of hiking in the Warner Mountains. We’re happy to help you schedule day trips to Mill Creek Falls, Snake Lake, Clear Lake and Mill Creek Meadows. Plus, there are many overnight and longer trips.
4. DO SOME STAR GAZING!! Every year we host dozens of dedicated stargazers drawn by some of the darkest skies in the lower '48. July brings an annual star party to our dedicated concrete telescope pads complete with 110-volt power to drive sophisticated gazing and photography equipment. Don't have a fancy telescope? Ask to borrow our not-so-fancy one (for free) and enjoy the beautiful night sky.
5. RIDE THE MODOC TRAIL!! Just half a mile from Likely Place, the Modoc Line Rail Trail is an abandoned narrow-gauge rail line converted for public trail use. This historic way runs over Tule Mountain with some truly magnificent views. Hikers, bikers, ATVers and motorized four-wheel-drive vehicles are all welcome. The entire line stretches north of Likely to south of Susanville, a distance of some 89 miles. Stop by the Clubhouse for a map showing shorter routes highlighting the most beautiful sections. This trail goes through remote back country, so be prepared for fun, bumpy roads!
6. SEE THE LAVA BEDS!! This National Monument is one of the most unique volcanic formations in the West. Walk through giant lava "tubes" formed thousands of years ago while reliving the history of one of the last Indian Wars in the country. See where "Modoc Jack" and his band of Paiutes fought the U.S. Cavalry to a standstill for three years.
7. VISIT THE MODOC NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE!! Millions of waterfowl annually pass through these refuges on their southern and northern migration. The plains around are home to rarely seen Pronghorn Antelope. Summer brings nesting wildlife such as giant Sandhill Cranes, eagles and osprey, geese, ducks, and numerous other species. With a little notice we can even arrange a guided tour for groups.
8. SEE A STURGEON FARM!! Improbable as it sounds, there's a genuine sturgeon farm, the largest in the western U.S., just five miles away from us and we can arrange a guided visit led by the owner. These giant, prehistoric fish, some over 200 lbs, thrive in the clear spring waters of Likely Mountain and seeing them makes a great two-hour trip. Ask at the front desk and we'll do our best to get you a tour.
9. GO SHOPPING IN A "GENERAL STORE"!! A holdover from pioneer days, Likely, CA, has one of the few western "general stores" around still. Pioneers and ranchers depended on these quaint all-purpose establishments for all their needs — tools, candies, clothes, medicines, books, nails, guns, fencing, food, furniture, you name it. Spend a couple of hours wandering through real life history in Likely's General Store.
10. VISIT THE MODOC COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM! With several exhibits showcasing the rich culture and history of Modoc County, this is a great way to learn about times gone by. Rotating exhibits range from prehistoric cultures to modern residents, to natural history including paleontological exhibits and a taxidermy collection of several local species. Historic exhibits from the Modoc, Pit River and northern Paiute Tribes feature Native American basketry, stone tools, beaded items, feather-work, and an extensive weapons and stone tool collection used by local people..
These are a few of our favorite things to do. Don’t forget to plan some time to spend at our clubhouse, on the driving range hitting some balls, playing bocce with new friends, and enjoying many of the other fun amenities that await. We look forward to hearing more about the highlights of your Likely Place adventure! See you out our way real soon!